
On my way back from the Dominican Republic, I had a lay-over in the Dallas/Fort Worth airport. It was there that I learned that President Hinckley had passed away the night before, on Sunday, Jan 27th. I was shocked. Although he was 97 years old, I think I had this secret hope that he would live until the Second Coming. I had grown to love and respect this dear Prophet so much that I selfishly didn't want him to go. However, I can't help but feel true joy knowing that he is once again with his dear wife, Marjorie.
I had the opportunity of attending Pres. Hinckley's funeral today at the Conference Center. It was a moving experience that I will never forget. One thing that was really special was that I was able to watch the emotions of the other Brethren (the Quorum of the Twelve and First Presidency) and I could not help but feel that I was witnessing some of the purest and strongest love I had ever seen, as they mourned the loss of their friend, associate and Prophet. I cannot claim that I know Pres. Hinckley except like most members of the church who had the wonderful opportunity to listen to him often and to watch how he lovingly guided the church. In these moments, though, he touched my soul on a very personal level. However, these men (whom I also love) knew him very personally. I felt that I was being given the opportunity to help mourn with those that mourn.
I cherish the example that President Hinckley has set for me and I feel even more determined to live as he and the Lord would have me live. I will never forget how often President Hinckley stated how much confidence he has in this rising generation. He has tried to instill in all of us the faith that everything will work to our good as long as we are diligent and do our best. It is my hope that I never let him down.
I will miss President Hinckley.
1 comment:
That is wonderful you were at the conference center! What an awsome experience, I am sure. I loved President Hinckley's funeral because it honored such an amazing person. It was a time of great reflection for me and I realize the importance/significance of a prophet more than ever.
Post a Comment