Sunday, June 24, 2007

"Yours for...What??"

Okay, so I went on this fabulous trip to Moab over the weekend. Fabulous because I saw some of the most fantastic earth formations I have ever seen. The arches, fins and RV's (all-natural) were incredible. The company was on the grand side as well...go my fellow Einy's!! Advice: If you have yet to go on such an expedition, I say...get off your duff and GO!

I do have a concern...not concern a suggestion... based on observation that I would like to throw out to the Gillespies and all other human beings who happen to play "Yours for!" It is a great game, but after playing it for 20 hours (at least) I would like to make an appeal for a change in the rules. In the entire trip only two original VW Bugs were spotted. WOW! But what do you get for that but a whopping point a piece. The new VW Bugs however get 2 points...and they were crawling all over the place. "Yours for 2!" "Yours for 2!" Not to deminish these automobiles, but hey, these poor original versions are hard to find and yet the value does not so reflect. I would like to appeal a switch..."Yours for 1" for the new little buggers and "Yours for 2" for the originals. What do you say???

6 comments:

Willie said...

A little background:
I do not know exactly when and where the game started. I learned it from my friend Jodi who had learned it from her friend Brie (sometime around 2000 or 2001). That is where the game originated as far as I know.

At the time of its conception, the points did go along pretty well with how often you actually saw the vehicles.

The "old" bugs were pretty common then, as the "new" bugs were ... well, new.
PT Cruisers were even newer than that.
Hummers, worth 4 points, were such because there was no such thing as the H2 or H3 at the time, and there simply weren't a lot of the original ones around.

And cars older than 1960 were rare, even back then (even more so now).

So, at the time, the game made more sense, yes. I have often thought about how it seems almost backwards now (except maybe "mine for 5!")

The original rules also stated that cars for sale (further interpreted to mean "cars for sale in a car lot") did not count.

Over the years, many variants and modifications have been played. I see that you played the "yours for" variant, where instead of calling the points for yourself "Mine for 3!" you call them for others "Yours for 3!" While that can be fun, it does make it harder to keep track of points because it's harder to tell who you called them on exactly.

My family plays with some of its inside joke modifications such as "mine for 8", "yours for -100!", and "mine for Michelle!" But those wouldn't exactly make sense to anyone else playing.

So, while I completely agree with you that the game seems backwards currently, I don't feel like I have the power to modify the official rules unless I hear differently from the source. And it's been many years since I talked with Brie.

Perhaps you could suggest a variant, but we don't want to confuse anyone else who may know how to play either. (And there are quite a few people scattered throughout the globe that know the original rules.) I just don't know how to say what the official rules are. Maybe I should stick up a page on my website and we can declare that as the official/evolving rules and even post variants.

Thoughts? (For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, you'll have to ask or go for a drive with me someday).

Suzy said...

I think that having a website posting of the rules (and possibly different versions, if you will) would be a wonderful idea! As far as adding new rules, I vote we do so only by vote. :) But for real we need to find Brie and find where she learned the game- get to the source, and learn the original rules.

Kendra said...

Hi Suzy! How are you? Hopefully you are having a fantastic summer. :)

I like both of your ideas. I think it's a great that the rules should be posted and votes taken on any possible changes. The question is, who will be in charge of taking the votes?

And in regards to finding Brie...maybe a "LOST" sign w/picture can be posted until found. ("Have you seen this girl?? Imperative that she be found immediately!!")

Suzy said...

It is indeed imperative! You have no idea how many situations and questions I have for this girl and her gaming rules.

Thaddeus said...

Hey, Suzy. LIMP!

Hahahaha!

Suzy said...

Darn you Thad!