I was not sure I wanted to walk in my graduation ceremony about a month ago, but I decided to do so anyway, and I'm SO glad I did.
For the last year and a half I have been putting all of my heart, head, and body into my master's program. At first, I was unsure I had the mental capacity to study anymore. It had been eight years since I had been in school (yes with me being 23...that makes me a child prodigy ;), and I found it difficult to focus. Yet, I kept to it, and it eventually became easier. Each semester brought a new challenge, and I felt myself being stretched to my limits. Yet, I somehow survived.
So the end had come and it was time for me to process from the Nielsen Field House to the Spectrum (a USU tradition). It was cold outside, but I found myself enjoying the walk. I was even walking next to a professor, Dr. Straquadine, who I truly enjoyed working with in the Provost's Office.
As we approached the Spectrum, tons of people were standing in the street or on the side of the sidewalk, clapping for all of us. That was kinda cool. Then when we got to the Spectrum, the professors, who had processed in the lead, were lined up on both sides of the entrance. They were clapping for all of us. I shook several professors' hands whom I knew and even President Albrecht (the USU pres.) stopped me and congratulated me and shook my hand. (I had worked with him many times in my tenure in the Provost's Office - so that was special to me.)
We then walked into the Spectrum. It was so cool to see my family and friends up there cheering for me. Dad and Mom were there, and Grandpa too. Robert was there sitting next to Mom, and way up directly in my line of sight from my seat was Alisha, Thad, and Matt. Dr. Hanks, was also there sitting with the professors. (He was the one who got me on the path to being an instructional designer!) It was so good to feel their support. Each one of those people helped me to get my degree, either by giving me emotional support and strength, and/or helping me with my projects. I was grateful they were there.
When it was time, I went forward to be hooded and to receive the diploma case. The selected professors stood before the podium hooding the graduate candidates. I walked in between the two lines and stopped at the very front. The professors took my hood and put it on. One told me I was done, but the other was not yet done, so I was a bit choked as I took a step forward...alas...there is even pain in the gradate ceremony!!! (j/k) I then went forward to hand my card over to have my name read. As I approached President Burnham (my stake president and the Dean of Graduate School) he gave me a hug. I then shook President Albrecht's hand and then the Provost gave me a hug - which truly surprised me! I guess it was because I worked with him for two years.
It was now over! Robert snapped my picture and I took my seat. It felt SO good! Grandpa had been hollering for me and Alisha, Thad and Matt had been playing the kazoos. There was no air horn, but it would probably have been inappropriate. :)
It felt SO good. I've been thinking why, and I think it is because it was in that moment that I felt that it really was all over. It gave me closure and a time to ponder and thank the Lord for all of the help He gave me. In thinking back I realized just how much He helped me through the toughest moments.
So....now I am working on packing (or will be - I'm a bit under the weather at the moment), and I will be heading off to a new adventure, a new chapter. I'm excited and sad all at the same time. I know, though, that whatever happens I will have the support of my family and friends, and the Lord.
4 comments:
Congrats on graduating!! Hope that you have a Merry Chrismas and a Happy New Year!
I will admit, I cried several times. :)
May the force be with you, Master Kendra.
Congratulations and may you be blessed with all that lay ahead of you!
Post a Comment