Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Rodents or computer accessories?

There was a big debate going around the office today of the correct pluralization of "mouse" as in the computer clicker thing. Several were adamant that it is "mouses" because "mice" is reserved for the rodent. While others were sure that "mouses" could not be a word and that "mice" is always the plural. It was amusing to listen to. "I'm sorry but if someone called and asked for 25 mice, I would send them a box of living rodents." "Mouses sounds funny."

Anyway, so I clicked on Firefox and thought I would get to the bottom of it. I went to the trusty Dictionary.com and scrolled down. I was rather surprised at the answer. You know, BOTH are correct. It states that either mice or mouses can be used. So, it's a matter of preference.

Now I'm thinking, "Give me a break! You mean we can't make up our minds and so we adopt both? Is it a political correctness thing...we just don't want to hurt peoples feelings by actually saying that one is right and one is wrong?" It's a good thing we speak English and not French or we'd all be shot - or shunned (a little less dramatic).

Ahhhh, English.

1 comment:

Thaddeus said...

It's more to do with our horrendous democratic mindset. Ever since Martin Luther nailed those theses to the church door, we peasants think we can shake the establishment until we get our way. It's despicable, really.