Wednesday, October 17, 2007

English...always something new!

I have to say that I love the English language! It has so many words in it that I do not believe it possible to know every word that exists. Now this is probably true of all languages, but since English is my native tongue, it hits home all the more to me when I come across a load of new vocabulary. I was reading a short story for one of my classes and got really excited because I had to learn 17 new words: imprimis, scrivener, obstreperous, obicular, remunerative, cistern, florid, cannel, anthracite, indecorous, dun, execrable, doff, vintner, potation, paroxysm, and recondite. (It wouldn't surprise me if Alisha could tell what story I was reading from this list. ;) I guess that's one reason why I love to read, because I love to learn new words. (That's also one reason why I miss Elder Maxwell!) When I was little I would read the dictionary, and I guess my love for the English language has not stopped. My challenge now is to use my new words so that I don't forget....i.e. "Thad can be so obstreperous!" (Just kidding. :)

2 comments:

AG said...

"Bartleby the Scrivener" by Herman Melville???

Kendra said...

There is a reason why you earned your master's in English. RIGHT-ON! You're amazing.